Empowering Black Artists
BlackNorth Initiative (BNI) and The Daniels Corporation (Daniels) are proud to announce a unique opportunity for Black-identifying artists and artist groups. BNI, in collaboration with Daniels, will be launching a request for proposals process directed to Black-identifying artists and artist groups for three work-live studios in the Regent Park neighbourhood of Toronto. Located on an award-winning ‘Living Lane’, the work-live studios will be within Daniels’ DuEast Condinimum and Artwork Tower communities. The work-live studios (two one-bedroom + studio units and one two-bedroom + studio unit) will be available at a special lease rate through participation in Daniels’ Social Impact Exchange and will be operated by Daniels Commercial Leasing. This program seeks to celebrate the existing arts community in Toronto and provide a unique opportunity that will support Black artists and creatives in developing their practice, showcasing their work, and building relationships in the community while working and living there. The launch date for the request for proposals process will be announced this Spring 2022.
How the Program Works
Daniels’ Social Impact Exchange Program requires participating tenants to contribute a minimum of eight (8) hours a month to the community. Applicants submitting Proposals or Expressions of Interest are required to include a Social Impact Exchange Plan that outlines a proposed community engagement strategy or approach. Social Impact Exchange Plans should include examples of specific engagement activities or initiatives and provide details on opportunities for collaboration with local residents or community organizations.
The applicant must be a professional, emerging or mid-career artist, or belong to an artist group, or organization. For the purposes of this proposal, a professional artist is someone who: has specialized training in the artistic field (not necessarily in academic institutions), is recognized as a professional by his or her peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition), demonstrates a commitment to devoting time to artistic activity, has a history of public presentation or publication.
Use of the Space
- Live studios are intended to function principally as creation, production, and exhibition spaces.
- To attract walk-in business, these work-live studios will be identified with laneway signage
- Workspaces must be the artist or artist group’s primary place of business and artists, or members of the artist groups are intended to reside in the residential component. Subletting of either component will not be permitted
- Please note, units can only accommodate practices that do not require special ventilation or additional acoustic measures
- A 3–5-page (maximum) Letter of Intent which sets out: Key contact and contact information, description of your artistic or creative practice, and a description of your relationship to the Regent Park neighbourhood
- A Social Impact Exchange Plan that describes how the artist/artist group proposes to fulfill requirements of Daniels’ Social Impact Exchange Program, including detailing any existing relationships with the Regent Park community, local organizations or other stakeholders
- An Artist CV which includes any professional qualifications, exhibitions/commission history, education, representation and other relevant experiences and major achievements to date.
- Three references from any of the following: clients, mentors, mentees, or community organizations
Benefits for Candidates
- Work-live units include studio space as well as living spacescreenings, readings, publications
- Below-market lease rates
- Downtown East location
- Diverse neighbourhood
- Opportunity to engage with community
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Du East Condominiums
Unit 1 – Ground Floor Studio (487 Sq Ft) + Second Floor Residence (686 Sq Ft) Available for Move In – Early 2023
Ground Floor Studio (866 Sq Ft) + Second Floor Residence (886 Sq Ft) Available for Move In – Early 2023