BlackNorth Connect Program
Empowering the next generation of
changemakers from the Black Community
- As of July 2020, Black Canadians are nearly 2X more likely to be unemployed than non-minority Canadians…
- With Black women disproportionately affected – twice as much as the average men and women.
- Half of the black employees in Canada report facing discrimination when it comes to promotions.
- Only 39% of Black Canadians agree that their organization has the right mechanisms in place to ensure major promotion decisions are free of bias.
- University-educated Black Canadians earn an average of 80 cents for every dollar earned by their white peers.
BlackNorth Initiative to launch a one-stop-shop platform designed to provide access to internships and job postings for career recruitment as well as mentorships, scholarships and bursaries for post-secondary education.
- To improve accessibility for the Black Community to employment, internship, and mentorship opportunities from a variety of industries.
- To provide corporations with a large pool of candidates and therefore help them meet their targets for a more equitable and diverse workforce.
- To help mentees, interns, and job seekers think about the job market and introduce them to a professional setting related to their area of interest as well as provide them with leadership and networking opportunities.
Benefits For Candidates
- Have access to a large pool of jobs
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Exposure to internship opportunities
- Access to a scholarships pool
- Development of new skill sets
- Development of a new professional network
- Build lasting professional relationships
- Improved chances of success
Benefits for Organizations
- Access to a large pool of candidates that will help meet targets for a more equitable and diverse workforce.
- Play an active role in advancing Black Canadians in their careers.
- Mentor the next generation of Black leaders.
- Share knowledge and sound advice to support the professional growth of Black Canadians.
- Highlight existing initiatives designed to advance the Black community.
- Access to a large pool of potential students that will help meet targets for a more diverse student body.
First phase of the platform (recruitment portal) to be ready for end of May 2023